Sullivan & Cromwell LLP – Equity Partner January 2007-April 2012 and Counsel January 2006-December 2007; Co-Chair of Global Leveraged Finance and Bankruptcy and Restructuring Practices (2007-2011)
Paul Hastings LLP – Equity Partner July 1996- January 2006; Office Chair, Corporate Department in Los Angeles, 2000-2003 and various other administrative posts in the areas of professional responsibility, ethics, opinions and firm administrative matters.
Columbia University School of Law – J.D. 1982; Columbia Law Review; Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar (1979-1982 inclusive); Teaching Fellow; Latin American Law Students Association.
Swarthmore College – B.A. Political Science and Economics 1979; Junior year abroad in Grenoble, France
Fluent in English and Spanish, proficient in French
Rankings and Recognitions (Examples):
Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business (Bankruptcy/Restructuring 2003-2011 and Banking/Finance 2004-2011), which comments included:
“‘When something simply must not go wrong, you turn to Hydee Feldstein’ say sources. ‘She is a superb intellect and combines theoretical understanding, commercial street sense and practicality which help all sides arrive at a reasonable solution.'” (2010) “Clients characterize her as somebody who ‘doesn’t let anything escape her’.” “Hydee Feldstein of Sullivan & Cromwell LLP is a ‘fiercely intelligent lawyer at the top of her game.’ She is ‘deal-oriented and incredibly effective when driving a process forward.'” (2008).
OTHER: Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business; IFLR1000: The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms; The Best Lawyers in America; The Lawdragon 3000: Leading Lawyers in America; Southern California Super Lawyers; The Los Angeles Area’s Best Lawyers; Who’s Who Legal: The International Who’s Who of Insolvency and Restructuring Lawyers; and Who’s Who Legal: California.
Leader in numerous Public Service, Bar and Professional Organizations including:
Commissioner, Judicial Nominees Evaluation Committee of the State Bar of California, appointed by the State Bar Board of Governors (1997-1999)
Bankruptcy Screening Committee on Judicial Appointments for the Central District of California and the Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, appointed by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals (1992-1994)
Co-Chair, Bankruptcy and Insolvency Committee for the Litigation Section of the American Bar Association, appointed by the Chair of the Litigation Section (1992-1994)
Opinion Practice Committee of the State Bar of California (2009-2011)
Executive Committee of the Commercial Law and Bankruptcy Section and of the Business Bankruptcy Committee of the Los Angeles County Bar Association, appointed by the Executive Committee (1990-2005); and
Former Governor of the Financial Lawyers Conference (2003-2005).
Articles and Panels on Legislation and Land Use Matters:
- Four Pillars for Housing Affordability: Moving Beyond Sacramento’s Third Rail (Authored, 2/6/20). https://www.citywatchla.com/index.php/cw/los-angeles/19261-four-pillars-for-housing-affordability-moving-beyond-sacramento-s-third-rail
- The Case Against Draft California Senate Bill 50 (Authored, 1/20/20). https://www.citywatchla.com/index.php/cw/los-angeles/19164-the-case-against-draft-california-senate-bill-50
- Senate Bill 330: Yet Another Costly Statewide Upzoning Bill (Authored 8/26/19). https://www.citywatchla.com/index.php/cw/los-angeles/18323-senate-bill-330-yet-another-costly-statewide-upzoning-bill
- Say It Ain’t So, Mayor Garcetti: The Sale of Los Angeles By a Native Son (Authored, 7/1/19). https://www.citywatchla.com/index.php/cw/los-angeles/17971-say-it-ain-t-so-mayor-garcetti-the-sale-of-los-angeles-by-a-native-son
- Wiener quietly turns barber bill into major housing legislation (Authored, 6/18/20) https://48hills.org/2019/06/wiener-quietly-turns-barber-bill-into-major-housing-legislation/
- Wiener’s SB 592: A WIMBY Snake in the Grass (Authored, 6/17/19) https://www.planningreport.com/2019/06/17/wieners-sb-592-wimby-snake-grass
- Senate Bill 592: The Snake in the Grass (Authored, 6/17/19) https://www.citywatchla.com/index.php/cw/los-angeles/17874-senate-bill-592-the-snake-in-the-grass
- Wiener’s Gut-and-Amend Tactics: Will They Return with SB 50? (Authored 6/13/19 https://www.citywatchla.com/index.php/cw/los-angeles/17847-wiener-s-gut-and-amend-tactics-will-they-return-with-sb-50
- Wiener’s gut-and-amend tactics: Will they return with SB 50? (Authored 6/11/19) https://48hills.org/2019/06/wiener-quietly-turns-barber-bill-into-major-housing-legislation/
- FACT CHECK: On Sen Nancy Skinner’s SB 330, Dick Platkin’s Article Was Right on Every Point (Authored, 6/3/19) https://www.citywatchla.com/index.php/cw/los-angeles/17783-fact-check-on-sen-nancy-skinner-s-sb-330-dick-platkin-s-article-was-right-on-every-point
- Speaker and Panelist at South LA Town Hall on SB50 held at Holman United Methodist Church on May 22, 2019
- Open Letter to Scott Wiener: SB 50 Empowers Wall Street to Commoditize Housing by Right. https://www.planningreport.com/2019/05/15/open-letter-scott-wiener-sb-50-empowers-wall-street-commoditize-housing-right
- Speaker at South Carthay/Carthay Square Neighborhood Associations Town Hall on SB50 held at Temple Beth Am on April 30, 2019.
- Developers Recruiting Candidates for PICO NC Election (Authored, 11/26/18) https://www.citywatchla.com/index.php/neighborhood-politics-hidden/16643-developers-recruiting-candidates-for-pico-nc-election
- The Political Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing: Planning’s Power Grab (Authored 11/8/18) https://www.citywatchla.com/index.php/cw/los-angeles/16539-the-political-wolf-in-sheep-s-clothing-planning-s-power-grab
- SB 831: Senator Wiener’s Wacky World on Steroids Must be Defeated! (Authored 4/9/18) https://www.citywatchla.com/index.php/cw/los-angeles/15234-sb-831-senator-wiener-s-wacky-world-on-steroids-must-be-defeated
- SB 827: Getting Out from Under the Train (or Bus) to Nowhere (Authored, 3/15/18) https://www.citywatchla.com/index.php/cw/los-angeles/15093-sb-827-getting-out-from-under-the-train-or-bus-to-nowhere
Attributions and Mentions:
- https://calmatters.org/commentary/2019/06/housing-crisis-5/ (John Mirish Updated 8/24/20 and Original 6/19/19)
- https://www.citywatchla.com/index.php/cw/los-angeles/19471-will-state-senator-scott-wiener-evade-california-s-three-strikes-law (Dick Platkin 3/19/20)
- https://www.citywatchla.com/index.php/cw/los-angeles/18948-big-time-elections-are-coming-to-la-in-2020-musical-chairs (Tony Butka 12/5/19)
- https://www.citywatchla.com/index.php/cw/los-angeles/18567-the-democratic-gut-and-amend-supermajority-morphs-into-one-party-no-voters-needed (Tony Butka 10/3/19)
- https://larchmontchronicle.com/sb-50-delayed-not-deceased/ (John Welborne 5/30/19)
- https://48hills.org/2019/05/facebook-money-and-california-housing/ (Zelda Bronstein 5/29/19)
- https://www.citywatchla.com/index.php/cw/los-angeles/17739-california-senate-bill-330-is-the-evil-twin-of-tabled-sb-50-the-difference-is-it-s-still-under-consideration (Dick Platkin 5/27/19)
- https://www.larchmontbuzz.com/featured-stories-larchmont-village/sb-50-watch-new-events-coverage-background-info/ (Elizabeth Fuller 5/9/19)
- https://www.citywatchla.com/index.php/cw/los-angeles/17584-wall-street-on-steroids-in-your-backyard-the-full-story-on-changes-to-sb-50 (Dick Platkin 5/2/19)
- https://www.larchmontbuzz.com/featured-stories-larchmont-village/town-hall-meeting-opposing-sb50-draws-large-crowd/ (Elizabeth Fuller 5/2/19)
- https://www.citywatchla.com/index.php/cw/los-angeles/17363-is-done-competent-enough-to-conduct-neighborhood-council-elections-if-not-why-not (Tony Butka 3/28/19)
- https://www.larchmontbuzz.com/featured-stories-larchmont-village/gwnc-land-use-committee-honors-joe-hoffman-reviews-projects-and-discusses-density/ (Patricia Lombard 12/5/18)
- https://www.citywatchla.com/index.php/cw/los-angeles/16572-planning-department-power-grab-part-2-update-and-a-warning (Casey Maddren 11/15/18)
- https://www.citywatchla.com/index.php/cw/los-angeles/16568-la-city-hall-s-1-2-punch-against-its-own-residents (Dick Platkin 11/15/18)
Legal Writing and Speaking (Partial):
“Corporate Governance and Duties of Officers and Directors” UCLA Anderson School of Management (Guest Lecturer 1994-2004)
UCLA School of Law – Various bankruptcy and finance topics (Guest Lecturer 2004-2011)
Columbia School of Law Various finance and bankruptcy topics (Guest Lecturer 2005-2011)
Carnegie Mellon Business School – Crisis Management ( Guest Lecturer 1993)
Faculty Member, Panelist and Author, for various Practicing Law Institute Programs including “Going Private: Doing the Deal Right” (NY 2008-2011) and “What Borrowers and Lenders Need to Know Now” (CA 1999-2000 and 2003)
American Bankruptcy Institute’s “Ethical, Fiduciary and Corporate Governance Issues in Business Reorganizations,” (CA 1998)
Women Professionals Career Satisfaction “Surviving In the 90’s and Beyond” (CA 1996).
Annual Meeting of the National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges – “Hot Issues in Chapter 11” (Toronto 1994)
“Reinterpreting Bankruptcy Code Section 524(e) — The Validity of Third Party Releases in a Plan,” 22 Cal. Bankr. J. 25 (1994), reprinted in the Educational Program materials for the Sixty Eighth Annual Meeting of the National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges.
Annual Meeting of the State Bar of California – “Bankruptcy Tips For The General Practitioner” (CA 1993)
Annual Meeting of the American Bar Association – “Sex, Lies and Bankruptcy: Megafilms Go Bust” (NY 1993)
Los Angeles Country Bar Association “Gender Bias in Bankruptcy Practice” (CA 1993)
Acknowledgement from Dr. Edward I. Altman for assistance in 2006 article: http://people.stern.nyu.edu/ealtman/Are-Historical-Models-Still-Relevant1.pdf